Sunday, September 8, 2013

The latest iterations of the patch and logo ...

The latest iterations of the patch and logo were announced today:
The were attached to following email:

Please review the attached jpg containing the updated draft of the SSSBR patch and logo. Comments are welcome and encouraged. 

I am thinking of starting with a road race up the Steese broken into 5 stages. Hopefully this will become an annual event.

1.) Wednesday, 6/18: Gold Hill Alaska to Chatanika Lodge,
2.) Thursday 6/19: Chatanika Lodge to Sourdough,
3.) Friday, 6/20: Sourdough to 12 Mile Summit,
4a.) Saturday, 6/21: 12 Mile Summit to Eagle Summit for the Solstice,
4b.) Sunday, 6/22: Eagle Summit to Nugget Gulch.

Each stage would be both a part of the overall race and a separate race in itself with age and gender groupings, and distinct standings between the individual stage cyclists and the overall cyclists. (But it could very well start as an organized adventure tour for a small group of less than ten interested participants with a minimum number of rules. We can be flexible.)

The last two stages would be combined for the 4th separate race. I think a number of locals would be interested in joining the race at 12 Mile Summit and cycle to Eagle Summit for the Solstice overnight, then go on into Central and to Nugget Gulch at Circle Hot Springs.

I also think there would be considerable local interest in the first stage from Gold Hill Alaska to Chatanika Lodge.
My thinking is to have broad appeal for participation by the local community in a race that follows the Steese Highway and we grow the interest from there. This could be a "base" race for folks to get involved with serious mountain bike racing, like the races Endurance North is involved with. In any case, we can shape it together ... and if 10 or 110 participate we will have room for them.
If you would like to join the small but growing group that is helping out by sharing ideas and constructive criticism ... simply reply with your feedback. And if anyone wants to know what's in it for me, I am a volunteer and will remain one. I simply think it is a great idea and absolutely doable, and it will either grow if it proves its value, or die a natural death having provided an opportunity to learn more about ourselves and what is possible. I have two rules for my volunteer efforts: 

1.) Am I learning enough to make it worth doing? If yes then I continue. 

2.) Am I more committed than those who will benefit most? If the answer is yes then if I can't motivate them to be more committed, I stop unless rule no. 1 is still giving me a positive outcome.

And there are plenty of areas to use your talent to help make this race happen at an improved level. It's an opportunity to get in on the ground floor of what can become a exciting venture. Besides, if you are young it will look good on your resume.
I am going to start contacting some of the other businesses along the Steese Highway because ALL of the feedback to date has been positive on the concept.
Gus

If you would like to be on our email list, contact us at:

No comments:

Post a Comment